14 July 2008

finding art on your street


williamsburg
Originally uploaded by florajasmine
one of my favorite parts about my graffiti photography hobby is when i help other people take a second look at the world around them.

i know my friends are definitely more aware now than they were before about the streets they walk down. they're used to me pointing out little pieces high and low as we walk along in our cities, sometimes they even spot things first and point them out to me.

this weekend, when i was walking around brooklyn, snapping shots of some street art in decay - i occasionally caused a traffic jam while people stopped to look at me and figure out what exactly i was shooting. it was good though, making people stop in the midst of their afternoon errands. as i would walk away from a particularly interesting piece, i saw a few people take time and look at the art as well, pointing out special details or commenting on the subject to their friends.

it makes me happy, seeing other people appreciate street art in their/our/it's element.

No comments: