10 April 2008

musings of a singleton

I want a guy to go with me to an indie rock concert not only because he likes me, but also because he loves the band. I need a boy who likes hiking and laying in the grass. The perfect guy will be the one to ask me to go to basketball games and art shows and hip-hop clubs because they’re his thing and he knows I’ll enjoy it. I want a boy who reccomends good books to read and appreciates the lit I can throw in his direction.

I think its mildly easy to find a boyfriend who will accompany you to events and tolerate the things you like, even feigning interest by asking questions from time to time. But I don’t want someone to tolerate my interests, I need someone who shares them. We don’t need to be twins and love all the same things. But in my dream relationship we’d have a lot of overlap.

There's a lot more thought behind this post, but I'll just give you this for now… and I'll add links later.

I'm one of the pickiest people alive when it comes to finding a mate. And yet, the ones I pick for myself seem to be the worst. Whatever. I like writing out all the criteria I'm looking for in a man, as if it's a checklist I can use on my next night out. Oh, if only it was all so easy as filling out a form and having the perfect man be returned to you on a plate. Alas, the world does not yet have that technology. Actually, match.com probably has the process locked down, its just the narrowness of my search that is preventing this from actually working. That and my individual weirdness which would prevent me from matching someone, per se. Probs, since I haven't tried match, I'm guessing here...

So, with regards to my various 'man requirement' lists, height, personality, and of course- always important to me – interests are included. Looks are never high on my list because I have weird taste and it varies so much (black/white/brown – skinny/normal/fit – rocker/baller/nerd, etc). Basically the only standard aspect of looks is moderately tall (5'10" +), not overly muscular, more thin than fat, and not ugly. And my definition of ugly is probably different than other people's.

So anyways, on to today's list. These are all things that I myself love and think are interesting/attractive/awesome enough that any decent man should also love. -->

My ideal guy must like at least 15 of the following 20 things:

  1. Amelie or Trainspotting (overplayed flicks I love)
  2. Basketball (watch or play)
  3. Good Beer (i.e. not budlight)
  4. Converse or Vans (canvas sneaks)
  5. Dude Ranch or Dookie or Morning Glory (influential albums from my youth)
  6. English Humor (it's particular)
  7. Gandhi (from India or clone high)
  8. Graffiti (aka Streetart)
  9. Interpol (wardrobe and their beats)
  10. Jean-Paul Sartre (philosophy killa)
  11. Kanye West (persona and his raps)
  12. Lion King (circle of life)
  13. Mother Teresa (if you don't, you're evil)
  14. Meat (like, from cows)
  15. Michael Jackson (he is the king of pop)
  16. Nick Hornby or Dave Eggers (their books)
  17. Ray Charles (the man, the myth, the legend)
  18. Signs or Boondock Saints (religious flicks)
  19. Stand by me or The Sandlot (band of bros movies)
  20. Tamales or Big Red (tex-mex goodness)

No comments: