02 February 2008

grandparents


grandparents
Originally uploaded by florajasmine
here's a picture of my mom's parents in front of their house in jourdanton, texas.

my grandpa built that house in the late 40s or early 50s. my aunt and uncle live there today. they have a new fence. and i don't think it's seen snow since about 1986.

my mom looks so much like my grandmother, its freaky.

story: my mom and dad started dating in 73 or 74. something like that. my mom was around 20 years old.

after they'd been dating for a while, my dad invited my mom over to his house (where he lived with his parents and siblings) here in san antonio. his dad was already sick at the time and mostly bedridden.

when my mom entered the bedroom to meet my paternal grandfather, he called out the name florinda. florinda happened to be my mom's mother's name.

that's when the strange its-a-small-world story came out. apparently sometime 'back in the day' in mexico, my paternal grandfather had met my maternal grandmother at a town dance. or something. he thought she was cute.

and then time passed and my dad thought my mom was cute and they got married and had me.

so apparently, similar taste in women totally runs in the family. haha. gross.

No comments: